You know the stats:
- 70% of kids quit organized sports by the age of 13
- Less than 25% of 6-12 year-olds are considered active to a healthy level in 2016, marking the steepest one-year decline on record dating to 2008. (Source)
- Today’s kids may have a shorter life expectancy than their parents. (Source)
- Health care costs are soaring due to poorer lifestyles and policy (Source)
- Less than 1/3 of coaches are trained in the competencies of their sport
Why do kids quit?
It isn’t fun. Or enjoyable. What do kids enjoy? According to a 2014 study for George Washington University, researcher Amanda Visik found:
- Trying their best
- Being treated with Respect
- Getting Playing time
- Playing well together as a team
- Getting along with teammates
- Exercising and being active
How do we Keep Kids Playing?
- Improve Clubs
- Improve Club Leadership
- Improve Coaches
- Improve Players
- Educate Parents
Many clubs do a great job in many areas. Some clubs leaders don’t know where to start or lack expertise at the technical or organizational level. Many technical leaders need help assessing the strengths and weaknesses of their organization. Many coaches need help in offering engaging, activity-based practices that players enjoy.
ClubDev exist to improve clubs, club leaders and team coaches, and to educate parents so that our players enjoy themselves while they improve. We believe that when kids are improving and enjoying themselves, they will remain engaged and continue to participate.